Top 5 Dutch Harbor
Collected by Amanda Castleman , AFAR Local Expert
Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
Explore the WWII-era American army base of Fort Schwatka, one of Dutch’s four coastal defense posts. Set two kilometers (one mile) from the cruise-ship docks, it occupies the Ulakta Head on Mount Ballyhoo. Trekkers should be prepared for a...
W Broadway Ave, Unalaska, AK, USA
This splendid 1896 church rises into an onion-dome spire containing six bells (the seventh is cracked and awaiting repairs). Visitors can savor the long mural and 16th-century Russian icons, which were evacuated when the congregants were sent to...
Gilman Way, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
Expansive views unfurl from this tiny protected green space. Photographers especially like to capture shots of the bald eagles that roost here in the stand of dead pines above the harbor. This park, with a pavilion, fire pit and two stationary...
314 Salmon Way, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
From native “throwing sticks”—a sort of hunting catapult or atlatl—to a WWII sentry bunker, this collection captures the archipelago’s essence. Of special interest is a gut parka (kamleika) made from animal intestines. Though its fabric tore...
Biorka Dr, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
This two-hectare (five-acre) reserve shelters a National Historic Landmark celebrating the place where Russian priests planted Sitka spruce trees in 1805: the oldest recorded act of afforestation in the United States. Rumor has it that several of...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May