Top 5 Dutch Harbor
Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
Explore the WWII-era American army base of Fort Schwatka, one of Dutch’s four coastal defense posts. Set two kilometers (one mile) from the cruise-ship docks, it occupies the Ulakta Head on Mount Ballyhoo. Trekkers should be prepared for a...
W Broadway Ave, Unalaska, AK, USA
This splendid 1896 church rises into an onion-dome spire containing six bells (the seventh is cracked and awaiting repairs). Visitors can savor the long mural and 16th-century Russian icons, which were evacuated when the congregants were sent to...
Gilman Way, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
Expansive views unfurl from this tiny protected green space. Photographers especially like to capture shots of the bald eagles that roost here in the stand of dead pines above the harbor. This park, with a pavilion, fire pit and two stationary...
314 Salmon Way, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
From native “throwing sticks”—a sort of hunting catapult or atlatl—to a WWII sentry bunker, this collection captures the archipelago’s essence. Of special interest is a gut parka (kamleika) made from animal intestines. Though its fabric tore...
Biorka Dr, Unalaska, AK 99692, USA
This two-hectare (five-acre) reserve shelters a National Historic Landmark celebrating the place where Russian priests planted Sitka spruce trees in 1805: the oldest recorded act of afforestation in the United States. Rumor has it that several of...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 4 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna