Collected by AFAR Explorer
3 Chome-3-2 Nihonbashi, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 103-0027, Japan
“New spa fads pop up all the time in trend-obsessed Japan, where bathing is almost an art form. Rakuzaya, a women-only Western-style salon, is known for its germanium mineral baths, a craze that took off after Japanese celebrities swore by their...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Nihonbashihonchō, 3 Chome−6−２ 小津本館ビル 1F
Learn to mash your own washi, traditional japanese paper, at Ozu Washi, where masters have made sheets from the fibers of kozo (mulberry) and other native plants since 1653. Or, skip the DIY and just buy the final product from the floor-to-ceiling...
8 Chome-7-先 Ginza, Chūō, Tokyo 104-0061, Japan
How did 18th-century shoguns keep their robes lint free? With a brush from Edoya, where the twelfth generation of the Hamada family still makes brushes for every imaginable purpose, such as applying kabuki makeup (use the goat-hair hake brush) or...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tokyo, Chūō, 日本橋本町４－１－３
Belly up to the bar at Tenmo, the 107-year-old new kid on the block. Chef Shusuke Okuda will tell the story of tempura—introduced by portuguese seafarers in the 16th century—as he batters local specialties, including prawns and persimmon leaves. ...
- 1 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 2 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 3 Natural Wonders The Best Hot Springs in the United States
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign