Collected by AFAR Explorer
3 Chome-3-2 Nihonbashi, Chūō-ku, Tōkyō-to 103-0027, Japan
“New spa fads pop up all the time in trend-obsessed Japan, where bathing is almost an art form. Rakuzaya, a women-only Western-style salon, is known for its germanium mineral baths, a craze that took off after Japanese celebrities swore by their...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tōkyō-to, Chūō-ku, Nihonbashihonchō, 3 Chome−6−２ 小津本館ビル 1F
Learn to mash your own washi, traditional japanese paper, at Ozu Washi, where masters have made sheets from the fibers of kozo (mulberry) and other native plants since 1653. Or, skip the DIY and just buy the final product from the floor-to-ceiling...
Japan, 〒104-0061 Tokyo, Chūō, 銀座８丁目１０
How did 18th-century shoguns keep their robes lint free? With a brush from Edoya, where the twelfth generation of the Hamada family still makes brushes for every imaginable purpose, such as applying kabuki makeup (use the goat-hair hake brush) or...
Japan, 〒103-0023 Tokyo, Chūō, 日本橋本町４－１－３
Belly up to the bar at Tenmo, the 107-year-old new kid on the block. Chef Shusuke Okuda will tell the story of tempura—introduced by portuguese seafarers in the 16th century—as he batters local specialties, including prawns and persimmon leaves. ...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles