Thessaloniki Top 5
Collected by Rachel Howard, AFAR Local Expert
Thessaloniki 546 21, Greece
The White Tower, a 15th-century fortress and former prison, is the atmospheric setting for an interactive history of Thessaloníki. Layers of Roman, Byzantine and Balkan history are vividly brought to life through multimedia displays on each of the...
Leof. Meg. Alexandrou 6, Thessaloniki 546 41, Greece
An architectural feat that took more than a decade to complete, Thessaloníki’s three-kilometer waterfront park has revitalized the seafront. Punctuated by sculptures, fountains and themed gardens, the boardwalk throngs with locals jogging,...
Leof. Stratou 2, Thessaloniki 546 21, Greece
With a dozen chapels and monasteries scattered throughout the city (including the spectacular Rotunda, with a faded band of saints and angels decorating the cupola), Thessaloníki’s Byzantine history is ever present. This architectural masterpiece...
Thessaloniki 546 24, Greece
Kapani food market is a colorful introduction to Thessaloníki’s celebrated food scene. In the narrow arcades, butchers, spice vendors and fishmongers clamor for the attention of bargain hunters. Vats of glistening olives, tubs of feta in brine and...
Several warehouses in Thessaloníki’s former dockyards have been converted into small but expertly curated museums, including a Cinema Museum, a Contemporary Art Center and a Museum of Photography, showcasing striking images of both contemporary...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now