The Mitford Sisters trail
Collected by Emma John, AFAR Local Expert
Batsford, Moreton-in-Marsh GL56 9AD, UK
I'm no horticulturist. I came here purely because I was on the trail of the Mitford sisters, keen to see their ancestral home (Batsford Park) as described in so many of Nancy Mitford's novels. But as well as a view of that house (outside only,...
Swinbrook, Burford OX18 4DY, UK
Swinbrook, in the Cotswolds, is a relatively obscure little village - except to those with a passion for 1920s Britain. Because it was the family home of the dashing Mitford sisters, the aristocratic darlings whose antics dominated Britain's high...
Bakewell DE45 1PP, UK
Chatsworth House is one of the largest and grandest country piles in Britain. It's also the former home of Debo Mitford, now Dowager Duchess of Devonshire. And while you'll need a personal invite from the current Duke (her son) to stay at the...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Travel News You Can Pay to Attend a Traditional Wedding in India
- 4 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 5 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022