The Mitford Sisters trail
Collected by Emma John, AFAR Local Expert
Batsford, Moreton-in-Marsh GL56 9AD, UK
I'm no horticulturist. I came here purely because I was on the trail of the Mitford sisters, keen to see their ancestral home (Batsford Park) as described in so many of Nancy Mitford's novels. But as well as a view of that house (outside only,...
Swinbrook, Burford OX18 4DY, UK
Swinbrook, in the Cotswolds, is a relatively obscure little village - except to those with a passion for 1920s Britain. Because it was the family home of the dashing Mitford sisters, the aristocratic darlings whose antics dominated Britain's high...
Bakewell DE45 1PP, UK
Chatsworth House is one of the largest and grandest country piles in Britain. It's also the former home of Debo Mitford, now Dowager Duchess of Devonshire. And while you'll need a personal invite from the current Duke (her son) to stay at the...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles