The Best of Winter in Madrid
Collected by Brandy Bell , AFAR Local Expert
There is nothing so enchanting as winter in Madrid. From Christmas Eve to the Three Kings, it's always a party!
Plaza Mayor, Madrid, Spain
The landscape of Plaza Mayor's artists—performers and painters—is ever-changing. New life is breathed into the corners by dancing goats, mimes, pianists, and the occasional traveling circus, but you can count on one thing: Madari will be there,...
Puerta del Sol, Madrid, Spain
To start your new year off right, look no further than the heart of Spain, Kilometer 0, in the Puerta del Sol (Door of the Sun). The tree (this year sponsored by the national lottery) will be lit, and December 30 is when the locals come out, 12...
Carrera de S. Jerónimo, 28014 Madrid, Spain
There are a few magical moments between when the lights blink to life above your head, and the sun sets below the horizon, when it seems that Madrid is lit spherically. In the Winter, this is usually between 17:30 (don't forget we're on the 24...
Paseo de la Castellana, 1, 28046 Madrid, Spain
The Winter holiday the Spanish love most: The Day of the Magic Kings. Lucky Spanish children get presents from Santa Claus on Christmas, but the Kings bring presents for grown ups, too. This easily makes it the favorite holiday of the season, and...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May