The Best of Winter in Madrid
Collected by Brandy Bell, AFAR Local Expert
There is nothing so enchanting as winter in Madrid. From Christmas Eve to the Three Kings, it's always a party!
Plaza Mayor, Madrid, Spain
The landscape of Plaza Mayor's artists—performers and painters—is ever-changing. New life is breathed into the corners by dancing goats, mimes, pianists, and the occasional traveling circus, but you can count on one thing: Madari will be there,...
Puerta del Sol, Madrid, Spain
To start your new year off right, look no further than the heart of Spain, Kilometer 0, in the Puerta del Sol (Door of the Sun). The tree (this year sponsored by the national lottery) will be lit, and December 30 is when the locals come out, 12...
Carrera de S. Jerónimo, 28014 Madrid, Spain
There are a few magical moments between when the lights blink to life above your head, and the sun sets below the horizon, when it seems that Madrid is lit spherically. In the Winter, this is usually between 17:30 (don't forget we're on the 24...
Paseo de la Castellana, 1, 28046 Madrid, Spain
The Winter holiday the Spanish love most: The Day of the Magic Kings. Lucky Spanish children get presents from Santa Claus on Christmas, but the Kings bring presents for grown ups, too. This easily makes it the favorite holiday of the season, and...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 4 Air Travel AFAR Readers Reveal Their Favorite U.S. Airports
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter