What to Do in the Joshua Tree Desert
Collected by Aislyn Greene , AFAR Staff
We recommend taking the Twentynine Palms Highway from Palm Springs, then circling down through Joshua Tree National Park. Here’s how to stay entertained along the way.
83131 Amboy Rd, Twentynine Palms, CA 92277, USA
To get to Palms Restaurant, drive to what feels like the end of the earth, then keep going. There you’ll find a sprawling bar and concert venue that’s as quirky as it is secluded. The decor (old-time telephone booths, saloon-style signs), a killer...
62121 Twentynine Palms Highway, Joshua Tree, CA 92252, USA
Designer Blake Simpson crafted Mojave Sands over nearly a decade, and his detail-oriented vision is evident everywhere, from the perforated metal fencing to the hand-sculpted black walnut bed frames. Amenities are slim, but what the motel lacks in...
53688 Pioneertown Rd, Pioneertown, CA 92268, USA
There’s a reason you’ll find Pappy & Harriet’s in almost every guide to the desert: This Pioneertown roadhouse attracts some of the most diverse acts that roll through SoCal. Eating Santa Maria–style barbecue in a faux saloon—part of an old...
2477 Belfield Blvd, Landers, CA 92285, USA
UFO advocate, George Van Tassel, began constructing the Integratron in the 1950s after an alien encounter with “Solgonda” who bestowed upon him the secrets of rejuvenation and time travel. The all-wood white dome structure contrasts with the blue...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Happiest Country Is All About Reading, Coffee, and Saunas
- 2 Travel News “Unbearable” Crowds Force California Town to Restrict Access to Poppy Bloom
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Ongoing Paris Riots
- 4 Where to Go in Spring California Wildflowers: Where and When to Find Them During the Super Bloom
- 5 Travel News Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Is Opening Soon—Here’s Everything You Need to Know