The AFAR Guide to Cyprus
Collected by Bryan Kitch, AFAR Contributor
Arch Makarios Avenue 12, Platres 4820
In Kemal Square, Famagusta - the largest city in northern Cyprus - sits the most awkwardly named mosque in the world. Officially the Lala Mustafa Pasha Mosque, this converted cathedral is labelled on a lot of street signs as 'St. Nicholas Mosque'....
Agios Sozomenos, Cyprus
The remains of a Venetian-style church in the abandoned village of Ayios Sozomenos, a 10 minute drive from the capital Nicosia. It was likely built in the pre-Ottoman period, like a number of the churches in Cyprus. The village was abandoned...
Lykabittos, Nicosia, Cyprus
Wonder what to do with all those old buttons? In Northern Cyprus (Turkish Cyprus) I saw a market in Nicosia that displayed these relics in a fun and colorful way. I love how the buttons are individually nailed, and can be purchased one by one, or...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village