Taste of Mahon
Collected by Travis Marshall, AFAR Local Expert
Carrer de l'Àngel, 19, 07703 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
There's a lot of history behind this place: El Turronero started as a confectioner in 1894, and became famous for its tasty turrón (Spanish for nougat). Since then the store has expanded to making gelato, using local milk, fruits and other...
Camí Sant Patrici, s/n, 07750 Ferreries, Islas Baleares, Illes Balears, Spain
Minorca has become known for a special variety of hand-molded cow's-milk cheeses that are made only here. To learn more and sample some of the cheese at its source, visit the Mahón-Menorca Cheese Museum at the Hort Sant Patrici farmstead. The...
Moll de Llevant, 176, 07701 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
Tapas are the quintessential Spanish snack: a series of small plates, meant to be shared with friends (alongside a drink or two). Can Vermut, right on the Mahón waterfront, is a perfect spot for tapas, such as croquettes, meatballs and empanadas....
Cami De Ses Barraques, S/N, 07710 Sant Lluis (Menorca), Illes Balears, Spain
Winemaking has a long history on Minorca, but the trade waned during the previous century. Now it's making a comeback, and the biggest wine producer can be found just south of Mahón in the countryside near Sant Lluis. Take a guided tour at...
Plaça del Carme, 17, 07702 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
Gin is another legacy of British rule of Minorca. British sailors wanted gin while they were in port, so the Minorcans learned to make it, importing the juniper berries and using wine alcohol. That legacy lives on at the family-owned Xoriguer Gin...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village