Taste of Mahon
Collected by Travis Marshall , AFAR Local Expert
Carrer de Hannover, 48, 07703 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
There's a lot of history behind this place: El Turronero started as a confectioner in 1894, and became famous for its tasty turrón (Spanish for nougat). Since then the store has expanded to making gelato, using local milk, fruits and other...
Camí Sant Patrici, s/n, 07750 Ferreries, Islas Baleares, Illes Balears, Spain
Minorca has become known for a special variety of hand-molded cow's-milk cheeses that are made only here. To learn more and sample some of the cheese at its source, visit the Mahón-Menorca Cheese Museum at the Hort Sant Patrici farmstead. The...
Moll de Llevant, 176, 07701 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
Tapas are the quintessential Spanish snack: a series of small plates, meant to be shared with friends (alongside a drink or two). Can Vermut, right on the Mahón waterfront, is a perfect spot for tapas, such as croquettes, meatballs and empanadas....
Cami De Ses Barraques, S/N Ctra. Sant Lluís - Es Castell, km. 0,5, 07710 Menorca, Islas Baleares, Spain
Winemaking has a long history on Minorca, but the trade waned during the previous century. Now it's making a comeback, and the biggest wine producer can be found just south of Mahón in the countryside near Sant Lluis. Take a guided tour at...
Plaça del Carme, 17, 07702 Maó, Illes Balears, Spain
Gin is another legacy of British rule of Minorca. British sailors wanted gin while they were in port, so the Minorcans learned to make it, importing the juniper berries and using wine alcohol. That legacy lives on at the family-owned Xoriguer Gin...
- 1 Travel News The Real Story Behind Venice’s Newly Crystal-Clear Canals
- 2 Travel News Quarantine. Self-Isolation. Lockdown. Shelter in Place. What’s the Difference?
- 3 Travel News Virtual Museum Tours, Performances, and Tutorials to Keep You (and Your Kids) Entertained at Home
- 4 Air Travel TSA Just Made Some Major Changes to Its Rules Due to Coronavirus
- 5 Travel News What Life Looks Like in Locked-Down Countries