Taste of Funchal
Collected by Nelson Carvalheiro, AFAR Local Expert
Estrada Monumental 147, 9004-532 Funchal, Portugal
Il Gallo d'Oro, located at the Cliff Bay Hotel, is the only Michelin-starred restaurant in Madeira. Helmed by French chef (and transplant to Madeira) Benoît Sinthon, the restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine with Iberian influences, using...
Rua de Santa Maria 166, 9060-291 Funchal, Portugal
O Jango is a traditional Madeiran restaurant located on the iconic Santa Maria Street. It is popular with locals for its simple dishes and a casual and comfortable ambiance. Don't miss the mixed seafood grill with prawns, squid, roe, black...
Estrada Monumental 179, 9000 Funchal, Portugal
Offering a modern twist on regional Madeiran cuisine, Atlantic Restaurant sets itself apart from other oceanfront establishments by its elegant décor and personable service. Unpretentious dishes like espada (black scabbard fish) with bananas are...
Rua da Ponta da Cruz 66, 9000 Funchal, Portugal
Built atop a west-facing cliff, Doca Do Cavacas is the best waterfront restaurant in Funchal for views of Madeira’s spectacular sunsets. There is nothing fancy about this place—it serves simple, down-to-earth grilled fish and seafood. For some...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna