Taste of Funchal
Collected by Nelson Carvalheiro , AFAR Local Expert
Estrada Monumental 147, 9004-532 Funchal, Portugal
Il Gallo d'Oro, located at the Cliff Bay Hotel, is the only Michelin-starred restaurant in Madeira. Helmed by French chef (and transplant to Madeira) Benoît Sinthon, the restaurant serves Mediterranean cuisine with Iberian influences, using...
Rua de Santa Maria 166, 9060-291 Funchal, Portugal
O Jango is a traditional Madeiran restaurant located on the iconic Santa Maria Street. It is popular with locals for its simple dishes and a casual and comfortable ambiance. Don't miss the mixed seafood grill with prawns, squid, roe, black...
Estrada Monumental 179, 9000 Funchal, Portugal
Offering a modern twist on regional Madeiran cuisine, Atlantic Restaurant sets itself apart from other oceanfront establishments by its elegant décor and personable service. Unpretentious dishes like espada (black scabbard fish) with bananas are...
Rua da Ponta da Cruz 66, 9000 Funchal, Portugal
Built atop a west-facing cliff, Doca Do Cavacas is the best waterfront restaurant in Funchal for views of Madeira’s spectacular sunsets. There is nothing fancy about this place—it serves simple, down-to-earth grilled fish and seafood. For some...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Travel News The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Coming to 1 U.S. Museum This Fall