Taste of Catania
Collected by Travis Marshall, AFAR Local Expert
302/304, Via Etnea, 95100 Catania CT, Italy
Bakeries abound in Catania, so you’re never far from hot, savory arancini or cannoli filled with rich, creamy ricotta. But if you’re seeking out one the best spots to sample these freshly made treats, stop in at Pasticceria Savia, located just off...
Sicily is renowned for its citrus fruits, especially the Arancia Rossa di Sicilia, or Sicilian blood orange, which is a protected local variety grown in the rich volcanic soil around Catania and other areas. Look for them in season—usually winter...
Via Pietro Antonio Coppola, 26, 95131 Catania CT, Italy
Pasta alla Norma, a hearty mix of pasta with tomatoes, eggplant, grated ricotta and basil, was named for the opera Norma by famed resident composer Vincenzo Bellini. At Trattoria De Fiore, Catania's signature dish is served in true...
Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 361, 95029 Viagrande CT, Italy
The rich volcanic soil around Mt. Etna makes the Catania area one of the island's most fertile spots, with a mineral composition that lends unique flavors to the grapes grown here. The Benanti Winery is one of the original Mt. Etna wine producers,...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 4 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map