Taste of Catania
Collected by Travis Marshall, AFAR Local Expert
302/304, Via Etnea, 95100 Catania CT, Italy
Bakeries abound in Catania, so you’re never far from hot, savory arancini or cannoli filled with rich, creamy ricotta. But if you’re seeking out one the best spots to sample these freshly made treats, stop in at Pasticceria Savia, located just off...
Sicily is renowned for its citrus fruits, especially the Arancia Rossa di Sicilia, or Sicilian blood orange, which is a protected local variety grown in the rich volcanic soil around Catania and other areas. Look for them in season—usually winter...
Via Pietro Antonio Coppola, 26, 95131 Catania CT, Italy
Pasta alla Norma, a hearty mix of pasta with tomatoes, eggplant, grated ricotta and basil, was named for the opera Norma by famed resident composer Vincenzo Bellini. At Trattoria De Fiore, Catania's signature dish is served in true...
Via Giuseppe Garibaldi, 361, 95029 Viagrande CT, Italy
The rich volcanic soil around Mt. Etna makes the Catania area one of the island's most fertile spots, with a mineral composition that lends unique flavors to the grapes grown here. The Benanti Winery is one of the original Mt. Etna wine producers,...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Exceptional Travel Experiences Thailand Wants to Pay You to Travel the Country Like a Local
- 3 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 4 Where to Go in Winter The Sweetest Small Towns in the U.S. to Visit This Winter
- 5 History + Culture 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites You Need to Visit This Winter