Taste of Athens
Collected by Rachel Howard, AFAR Local Expert
Akti Koumoundourou 52, Pireas 104 35, Greece
Michelin-starred chef Lefteris Lazarou is fanatical about fish. His set dinner menu features show-stopping seafood like squid ink soup, seafood moussaka, and John Dory with chocolate and chorizo. The à la carte lunch is a more casual (and...
Plateon 15, Athina 104 35, Greece
Winner of a Michelin Bib Gourmand, this local institution excels at highly inventive seasonal Greek dishes—salt cod donuts with sautéed greens, thyme-crusted lamb with apricot puree, cockerel confit with beet salad and apple sauce. Set in a lush...
Kinetou 7, Athina 105 55, Greece
This deliciously offbeat restaurant in Monastiraki flea market has built up a loyal clientele since 1986. Surrounded by ramshackle antique shops and decorated with floral wallpaper and patterned tiles, it’s as much about the atmosphere (live...
Pentelis 5, Athina 105 57, Greece
The queue is long and you’ll have to eat standing up, but this spotless hole-in-the-wall does the best souvlaki in town. Don’t worry if you confuse it with the other Kostas joint on trendy Agia Irini Square—at either place, the pita bread is...
Pl. Dexamenis, Athina 106 75, Greece
There’s no better place to acquire a taste for ouzo than this outdoor kafeneion, founded around 1900. Drink it up with tantalizing mezze, such as basil-scented meatballs, deep-fried whitebait and grilled halloumi with candied figs. With tiny...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Where to Go in Fall 10 Secrets to Doing Oktoberfest Like a Local
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna