Taste of Athens
Collected by Rachel Howard , AFAR Local Expert
Akti Koumoundourou 52, Pireas 104 35, Greece
Michelin-starred chef Lefteris Lazarou is fanatical about fish. His set dinner menu features show-stopping seafood like squid ink soup, seafood moussaka, and John Dory with chocolate and chorizo. The à la carte lunch is a more casual (and...
Plateon 15, Athina 104 35, Greece
Winner of a Michelin Bib Gourmand, this local institution excels at highly inventive seasonal Greek dishes—salt cod donuts with sautéed greens, thyme-crusted lamb with apricot puree, cockerel confit with beet salad and apple sauce. Set in a lush...
Kinetou 7, Athina 105 55, Greece
This deliciously offbeat restaurant in Monastiraki flea market has built up a loyal clientele since 1986. Surrounded by ramshackle antique shops and decorated with floral wallpaper and patterned tiles, it’s as much about the atmosphere (live...
Pentelis 5, Athina 105 57, Greece
The queue is long and you’ll have to eat standing up, but this spotless hole-in-the-wall does the best souvlaki in town. Don’t worry if you confuse it with the other Kostas joint on trendy Agia Irini Square—at either place, the pita bread is...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Restaurants + Cafés This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May