Taormina's Top 5
Collected by Travis Marshall , AFAR Local Expert
Via Alcide de Gasperi, 15, 98030 Castelmola ME, Italy
At Castelmola, an ancient village on Mt. Tauro, you can enjoy spectacular views and sip local almond wine while exploring castle ruins and quaint streets. There are two ways to get here from Taormina: fit travelers can set out on foot, scaling the...
95019 Zafferana Etnea CT, Italy
Sicily’s legendary active volcano rumbles and smokes along the island’s eastern coast, midway between Catania and Taormina. The mountain itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and while adventurous visitors can hike Etna’s upper reaches, a ride...
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II, 98039 Taormina ME, Italy
This medieval palace at the heart of Taormina shows the various influences that have shaped the town over the centuries. Flourished arches over the doors and windows hint at its Arabian origins, while there are interesting frescoes dating from the...
Via del Teatro Greco, 1, 98039 Taormina ME, Italy
Sicily’s second-largest ancient theater offers a commanding view of the Ionian Sea with Mt. Etna smoldering in the background. Though originally carved from the mountainside during the Hellenistic period, Romans contributed new construction around...
Via Etnea, 196, 95129 Catania CT, Italy
An hours' drive south of Taormina along the picturesque Sicilian coast sits Catania, the island’s second-largest city, sprawled at the foot of perpetually grumbling Mt. Etna. A massive earthquake destroyed the city in 1693, leading to a Baroque...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum