Collected by AFAR Explorer BML
The modern world will fall away as you take in the well-preserved ancient sacred sites on the islands of Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva. You’ll feel the deep, ancient spirit of mana on an archeological discovery safari tour, as you wander around what were...
Society Islands, French Polynesia
The main island of Tahiti is a great place to get a feel for the region’s contemporary side—and fuel up at the roulottes (food trucks) lining the waterfront. Beyond its capital of Papeete, a 4-wheel-drive safari through the lush interior can bring...
Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
More than a thousand miles from the hub island of Tahiti, the far-flung Gambier Islands became the cradle of Catholicism in the region after the arrival of the first missionaries in the 19th century. Today, evidence of those influences can be seen...
French influences turn up throughout The Islands of Tahiti, particularly in the refined flavors and elegant presentations of its cuisine. There’s even a working winery in the area, so visitors can go completely “local” in their meals, pairing...
Austral Islands, French Polynesia
Hundreds of miles from the main Society Islands, along the Tropic of Capricorn, the five Austral Islands have remained relatively undeveloped and traditional, making this an ideal place to get an authentic feel for life in this idyllic part of the...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village