Collected by AFAR Explorer
The Islands of Tahiti can feel like the edge of the earth. Now imagine flying three hours farther than the main international airport, and you’ll get a sense of the remote beauty and ancient roots of Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva, two of the 12 islands of...
The second largest atoll in the world, Rangiroa is made up of over 240 tiny islets (or motu) ringed by a string of coral—a layout that, from the air, resembles a giant pearl necklace lying in a bed of blue velvet. The lagoon between all the...
Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
The four islands of the Gambier archipelago are set over one thousand miles southeast of the Island of Tahiti, and are populated by just a few hundred residents—so visitors often feel like they’ve got this slice of paradise all to themselves....
Austral Islands, French Polynesia
Continue hundreds of miles south of the main island of Tahiti and you’ll come to the Tropic of Capricorn and the five-island Austral Islands chain. There are plenty of ways to connect to nature here. Take a cue from the locals and join them as...
- 1 Travel News There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Holiday Travel Required Reading: 29 New Books for Every Type of Traveler
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village