Collected by Erin Winkler-McCue
Lavaux in Vaud, Switzerland is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, home to 830 hectares of vineyards just 20 minutes by train from Lausanne. Slanted dramatically, these fields stretch about 30 km along the banks of Lake Geneva producing mostly Chasselas...
Chez Lucien, 1345 Le Lieu, Switzerland
7 p.m., Early On: Kick things off with some very Swiss starters at Chez Lucien, a waterfront wine bar. Order the platter of raw milk L’Etivaz cheese and the dried beef that has been cured for six weeks in the barn of a nearby village. Look for any...
Rue des Savoises 19, 1205 Genève, Switzerland
10 p.m., Cocktail Hour: The new bar Le Verre à Monique is a popular choice among bartenders. The staff concocts cocktails from odd ingredients like strawberry jam and pink peppercorn syrup. Ask for the Malice in Wonderland, a mix of Oolong tea–...
Glaubenbielen Pass, 6074 Giswil, Switzerland
High in the Emmental Alps, off the Glaubenbielen Pass, Rita and Wisi Enz run a small summer farm called Egghüttä. It’s a modest affair surrounded by clichés: towering peaks and lazy cows. I wandered in and Rita fed me a cheesy noodle dish called ...
Gimmelwald, 3826 Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Gimmelwald is a tiny farm community in the mountains above the Lauterbrunnen Valley. Hiking from here begins on nearly vertical trails along grassy pastureland. I've never hiked in a more beautiful place than this, where the view across the narrow...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 4 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 5 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna