History in Southwest Sweden
Collected by Marie Oskarsson
The plains and fields of Southwest Sweden—known as Västergötland—are filled with farms and various industries, but the province also played an important part in early Swedish history. This part of the country was inhabited long before Christianity was introduced, and visitors will find rune stones, prehistoric graves, and remnants Viking life in the area.
Spikens Fiskehamn 1, 531 99 Lidköping, Sweden
Lake Vänern is the largest lake in Sweden and so wide from shore to shore that it is sometimes called an inland sea.The Kålland peninsula on its southwest shore is home to Spiken, a picturesque fishing village, andthe...
Kinnekulle, 533 94 Hällekis, Sweden
The Kinnekulle area on the south bank of Lake Vänern is a paradise. Home to 18 nature reserves, the unique geology and chalky soils provides the perfect growing conditions for plants like ramps, ivy and various rare species like...
Spinnerivägen 1, 448 51 Tollered, Sweden
Thirty minutes east of Gothenburg you’ll find Nääs Fabriker, a former cotton mill turned restaurant, studio, designer shop and hotel, perfect for visitors who want to find interior design, fashion, art and great food all in...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village