Strait of Messina
Collected by Marc Perrotta
Mt Etna, 95031 Adrano, Province of Catania, Italy
One of Italy’s three active volcanoes, Mount Etna has the longest recorded history of eruptions, dating back to the 5th century B.C.E. Its snow-covered peak was at one time covered with fir and pine forests, though today it's rocky with sparse...
Via Nuova, 77, 98164 Messina ME, Italy
These midcentury electrical pylons that reach a height of 232 meters (761 feet) are icons of Italy’s postwar regeneration and now have protected status as historical monuments. They began transmitting power in 1955 and were decommissioned in 1993—...
89018 Villa San Giovanni, Province of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Villa San Giovanni, the principal gateway by ferry to Sicily, is located in Calabria, at the narrowest point of the Strait of Messina. A large lighthouse is one of the notable sights that faces the strait from its shores. Although earthquakes have...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 4 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna