Strait of Messina
Collected by Marc Perrotta
Mt Etna, 95031 Adrano, Province of Catania, Italy
One of Italy’s three active volcanoes, Mount Etna has the longest recorded history of eruptions, dating back to the 5th century B.C.E. Its snow-covered peak was at one time covered with fir and pine forests, though today it's rocky with sparse...
Via Nuova, 77, 98164 Messina ME, Italy
These midcentury electrical pylons that reach a height of 232 meters (761 feet) are icons of Italy’s postwar regeneration and now have protected status as historical monuments. They began transmitting power in 1955 and were decommissioned in 1993—...
89018 Villa San Giovanni, Province of Reggio Calabria, Italy
Villa San Giovanni, the principal gateway by ferry to Sicily, is located in Calabria, at the narrowest point of the Strait of Messina. A large lighthouse is one of the notable sights that faces the strait from its shores. Although earthquakes have...
- 1 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 2 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 3 Where to Go in Winter Why You Should Go to New York City This Winter
- 4 Holiday Travel 15 Go-to Pieces of Travel Gear to Gift This Holiday Season
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 12 Great Beaches for Winter Sun