Collected by Tara Guertin, AFAR Staff
Casa de Fierro, Iquitos, Peru
And from the guy who designed the Eiffle Tower. La Casa de Fierro was designed by the French architect Gustave Eiffel and built in Belgian workshops. A rubber baron bought it at the International Exposition of Paris in and brought in pieces to...
Leticia, Amazonas Department, Colombia
We were told the only way to get out of Leticia and up to central Colombia is to walk into the local airport, wait for a cargo flight to land, track down the pilot and pay him in cash to take you up there on his return flight. There were no...
Perito Moreno, San Carlos de Bariloche, Río Negro, Argentina
If you have the time to travel by bus in South America, bring snacks! This is what they served between Buenos Aires and Bariloche. Notice I ate some of it. Didn't touch that brown jelly gook though.
- 1 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 2 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 3 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys
- 4 Travel News New Zealand’s Most Beautiful Train Ride Is Reopening in December
- 5 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now