Collected by Jamie Kurz
3906 Saas Fee, Switzerland
From Saas-Fee’s Spielboden ski area, the world’s highest underground metro train barrels up to the Längfluh Glacier, where snowboarders and skiers carve with abandon. The less brave (or less crazy) come to the 11,482-foot-high station for the...
Ovronnaz, 1911 Leytron, Switzerland
When the Romans arrived here in 15 b.c.e., they brought their thermal bath culture, and you can still see the ruins. But newer bains thermaux also abound. The village of Saillon has a Rivière Thermale, like a water park’s lazy river, lined with...
Rue du Ctre sportif 24, 1936 Bagnes, Switzerland
At the low-key lodge Cordée des Alpes, a Verbier newcomer, rooms have Alpine views of the surrounding ski area, Les Quatre Vallées, as does the Moorish-themed spa’s indoor pool. From $496. hotelcordee.com. This appeared in the January/February...
Rue de Médran 70, 1936 Bagnes, Switzerland
Switzerland’s first W Hotel, in the village of Verbier, is a refreshing addition to the country’s luxury accommodations. Glass fireplaces make the rooms a modern retreat, and Spanish chef Sergi Arola collaborates with local farmers to create...
Route de Verbier Station, 1936 Bagnes, Switzerland
It would be a sin to leave Valais without tasting the ubiquitous pain de seigle valaisan, a rye bread with its own AOP (Appellation d’Origine Protégée). The Verbier bakery Pâtisserie de la Poste makes one of the best versions. Grab a loaf and sit...
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 4 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 5 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now