Collected by Amanda Castleman, AFAR Local Expert
Marineika, Zakinthos 291 00, Greece
Set in the village of Marineika, about five kilometers (three miles) northwest of Zákinthos Town, this studio and gallery are surrounded by olive and lemon trees. Among the standout designs are butterfly bowls, cartoonlike cat figurines and...
Kalipado 291 00, Greece
More than 110 grape varietals grow on the island of Zákinthos. The most typical wine is verdea, a strong, dry white blend that’s aged in oak. The third-generation Callinico Winery, in the village of Kalipado, has been bottling verdea since 1918....
Psaron, Zakinthos 291 00, Greece
Stop here for a taste of the island’s traditional sweets—mantolato (nougat) and pasteli (honey-sesame bars). The Kotsoni family has been producing these delicacies in their shop since 1910, but mantolato’s roots extend back to the Middle Ages,...
Tavoulari & Roma, Zakinthos 291 00, Greece
This elegant jewelry shop in Zákinthos Town sells one-of-a-kind designs in white and yellow gold. If you're looking for a distinctively Greek souvenir, consider a band with a “meander” motif, also called Greek key—typically found as a decorative...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands