Collected by AFAR Traveler
Elishader, Portree IV51 9JE, UK
We had a few hours before dinner to drive around the perimeter of the Isle of Skye. A short distance south of Staffin, on the east coast of Skye’s Trotternish Peninsula, Kilt Rock, where the falls descend from a 200 foot high sea cliff. The...
Lawnmarket, Lady Stair's Close, Edinburgh EH1 2PA, UK
Just off the Royal Mile after you go under an archway is the Writers Museum in Scotland's capital city. The museum honors three of the nation's finest writers - Robbie Burns, Robert L. Stevenson and Sir Walter Scott. It is well worth a visit,...
Castlehill, Edinburgh EH1 2NG, UK
In Scottish, Hogmanay means the last day of the year. It's a time for celebration to welcome in the new year. And no place does it better than Edinburgh. Its three days of celebrations begin with a torchlight procession on December 30 where 40,000...
River Sligachan, Isle of Skye, UK
Our guide warned us about the freezing water before we left the warm surround of our tour bus. That was of course after he had also told us that the 'Fountain of Youth' so sought after my humanity since time immemorial, was just outside our window...
97 Buchanan St, Glasgow G1 3HF, UK
Architects and designers, students of the pursuit or just anyone with an eye for great design: the name Charles Rennie Mackintosh probably is held in high esteem in your world. The Glasgow architect and designer is celebrated around the world as...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village