Scheldt River Cruising
Collected by Paul Sullivan , AFAR Local Expert
Emmaweg 4, 4568 PW Nieuw Namen, Netherlands
Saeftinghe was once a prosperous area of small villages specializing in agriculture, peat-burning and trade—until most of the land was 'drowned,' first through a series of floods and then, finally, the result of strategic dike stabbing in 1584...
Located between the Scheldt and the North Sea, Vlissingen has been an important harbor since the 17th century, when ships set sail from here to the various outposts of the Dutch colonial empire. Today the city is notable for its Blue Flag beach, a...
N62, Ellewoutsdijk, Netherlands
Although you can’t see it as you sail along the Scheldt, the 6.6-kilometer (4.1-mile) Western Scheldt Tunnel, which runs below the estuary close to the North Sea, is something of a local engineering phenomenon. The longest tunnel for highway...
- 1 Tips + News When Will We Be Able to Travel to Europe?
- 2 Air Travel How Much Do Masks Really Protect You on Flights?
- 3 Tips + News Can Americans Visit Mexico Right Now?
- 4 Tips + News Visiting NY, NJ, or CT? You'll Have to Quarantine If You're From These 38 States
- 5 Tips + News This Is When Caribbean Islands Are Reopening for Tourism