Scheldt River Cruising
Collected by Paul Sullivan, AFAR Local Expert
Emmaweg 4, 4568 PW Nieuw Namen, Netherlands
Saeftinghe was once a prosperous area of small villages specializing in agriculture, peat-burning and trade—until most of the land was 'drowned,' first through a series of floods and then, finally, the result of strategic dike stabbing in 1584...
Located between the Scheldt and the North Sea, Vlissingen has been an important harbor since the 17th century, when ships set sail from here to the various outposts of the Dutch colonial empire. Today the city is notable for its Blue Flag beach, a...
N62, Ellewoutsdijk, Netherlands
Although you can’t see it as you sail along the Scheldt, the 6.6-kilometer (4.1-mile) Western Scheldt Tunnel, which runs below the estuary close to the North Sea, is something of a local engineering phenomenon. The longest tunnel for highway...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village