Scheldt River Cruising
Collected by Paul Sullivan , AFAR Local Expert
Emmaweg 4, 4568 PW Nieuw Namen, Netherlands
Saeftinghe was once a prosperous area of small villages specializing in agriculture, peat-burning and trade—until most of the land was 'drowned,' first through a series of floods and then, finally, the result of strategic dike stabbing in 1584...
Located between the Scheldt and the North Sea, Vlissingen has been an important harbor since the 17th century, when ships set sail from here to the various outposts of the Dutch colonial empire. Today the city is notable for its Blue Flag beach, a...
N62, Ellewoutsdijk, Netherlands
Although you can’t see it as you sail along the Scheldt, the 6.6-kilometer (4.1-mile) Western Scheldt Tunnel, which runs below the estuary close to the North Sea, is something of a local engineering phenomenon. The longest tunnel for highway...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May