Collected by Heidrun Twesten
Mariehamn, Åland Islands
“Åland has a long maritime history so you want to try to get out on a boat if you can. I like to take visitors on the Galaesen Albanus, a replica of a wooden 1904 ship that cruises the archipelago. If you go out on a 4-hour route or longer, they...
40 Stornäsvägen, Godby 22410, Finland
“We Ålanders love our fika, or coffee break. Johanna’s Hembakta, a bakery in Saltvik, is where I go for hemvete, a black bread made from rye flour and coffee, and flecked with caraway seeds. Have a slice, or one of her amazing cinnamon buns during...
14 Fjärdvägen, Eckerö 22270
“Björnhufvud is beyond anything else on Aland. It’s a farm-style b&b with views on either side of the archipelago and dishes made from local foods,” says Lotta Jansdotter, a designer who has spent her summers in Åland since she was a little girl....
134 Slottsvägen, Kastelholm 22520, Åland Islands
“To eat the local food, try Smakbyn—“taste village”—where chef Michael Björkland, a local TV personality, makes a point to only source Aland ingredients. He cooks completely fresh takes on traditional Scandinavian pairings: parnship cheesecake...
Åland, 2 Ekonomiegatan, Mariehamn 22100, Åland Islands
“In Mariehman, there’s Bagarstugan Café & Vin, a cottage house that looks like you’ve stepped into great-grandma’s house. Go for lighter salads—I like one with goat cheese and sprouts—and, of course, the Åland pancake. It’s a thick pancake made...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now