Collected by Nina Dietzel, AFAR Ambassador
Nevada City, CA 95959, USA
Here's something you don't come across easily. A huge and varied collection of all types of tools: farm, carpentry, locks, even a mochi masher! Best though is chatting with curator Mike Snegg, a fascinating and fun guy.
Purdon Rd, Nevada City, CA 95959, USA
I just spent the weekend following the 4th of July up near Nevada City. It got over 90 degrees during the day, so we headed to the river. Although lots of people had similar ideas, I was with a local who directed us to this spot and we had it to...
3202 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
The martini may or may not have been invented in San Francisco—booze authorities, with breathtaking seriousness, have debated the matter for decades. Either way you can't swing an olive in this town without finding a swell cocktail bar. Nod...
Northern Park Way and Gold Reef Rd, Ormonde, Johannesburg, 2001, South Africa
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela, June 1999 Opened in 2001, the Apartheid Museum is a powerful and extensive museum documenting the rise and...
University Corner, Jorissen St & Bertha St, Johannesburg, 2050, South Africa
An amazingly curated museum, the Wits Art Museum, fondly referred to as WAM, hosts a stunning collection of contemporary and traditional African art. It's located in a bright and airy space and feels relatively undiscovered. My favorite piece was...
- 1Travel TipsHow to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)
- 2Travel NewsAustria’s New James Bond Museum Is a Spectacular Secret Lair High in the Alps
- 3Festivals + EventsSweden’s Magical Midsommar Festival Is Straight out of a Fairy Tale
- 4Luxury AdventureHow to Glamp Under the Midnight Sun in Norway This Summer
- 5National ParksYosemite’s Giant Sequoia Grove Reopens After Nearly Three Years