Collected by Nina Dietzel, AFAR Ambassador
Nevada City, CA 95959, USA
Here's something you don't come across easily. A huge and varied collection of all types of tools: farm, carpentry, locks, even a mochi masher! Best though is chatting with curator Mike Snegg, a fascinating and fun guy.
Purdon Rd, Nevada City, CA 95959, USA
I just spent the weekend following the 4th of July up near Nevada City. It got over 90 degrees during the day, so we headed to the river. Although lots of people had similar ideas, I was with a local who directed us to this spot and we had it to...
3202 Mission St, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
The martini may or may not have been invented in San Francisco—booze authorities, with breathtaking seriousness, have debated the matter for decades. Either way you can't swing an olive in this town without finding a swell cocktail bar. Nod...
Northern Park Way and Gold Reef Rd, Ormonde, Johannesburg, 2001, South Africa
"To be free is not merely to cast off one's chains but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others." -Nelson Mandela, June 1999 Opened in 2001, the Apartheid Museum is a powerful and extensive museum documenting the rise and...
University Corner, Jorissen St & Bertha St, Johannesburg, 2050, South Africa
An amazingly curated museum, the Wits Art Museum, fondly referred to as WAM, hosts a stunning collection of contemporary and traditional African art. It's located in a bright and airy space and feels relatively undiscovered. My favorite piece was...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys