Collected by AFAR Explorer
Golden Gate Park, San Francisco, CA, USA
Golden Gate Park was formed out of an expanse of sand dunes to the west of the city in the nineteenth century—a history that is still discernible in the rolling topography of much of the park’s more than 1,000 acres. Over 13 million...
Pier 15 The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA 94111, USA
Ask anyone you know who grew up in the Bay Area about the Exploratorium, and they’ll likely be able to share stories of class trips and seeing their hair stand on end at an installation about electricity or fun-house mirrors that...
Lower Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA, USA
Bourbon and Branch is a traditional speakeasy. Their 8 house rules—hushed voices and no cell phones among them—encourage neighborly conversation in a very relaxed setting. It's a great way to meet people if you're traveling alone as...
1855 Haight St, San Francisco, CA 94117, USA
Amoeba records is a destination in itself, and every music lover will want to head there. But, turning your attention from the music to the people is also a worthwhile pursuit. Very, very fascinating! Young Cyndi Laupers and John Lennon wannabes,...
- 1History + CultureThe Tea Capital of Europe Isn’t Where You Think It Is
- 2Tech6 Awesome Hiking Apps for Adventurous Travelers
- 3Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 4History + CultureIntimate Portraits of Women Who Live as Men in Remote Albania
- 5MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights