Runavik Top Picks
Collected by Kristan Schiller , AFAR Contributor
Gøtugjógv, Faroe Islands
The municipality of Gøta, near the fjord Gotuvik, was once home to the legendary Viking chieftain Tróndur í Gøtu (ca. 945–1035), defender of Viking traditions in the face of the king of Norway and the Faroese chief Sigmundur Brestisson (who had...
31 Saksunarvegur, Saksun 436, Faroe Islands
In the remote village of Saksun along the eastern edge of the Dalsá River is the village church and ancient farm of Dúvugarðar, now a national heritage museum. This institution provides a realistic portrait of what life was like for Faroese...
Glyvrar 625, Faroe Islands
The charming fishing village of Glyvrar on the eastern edge of the Skálafjørður Inlet is home to the Museum Forni (Fornminnisfelagið Forni), a 17th-century Faroese house open to the public. Visitors will feel transported back in time as they...
Toftavatn, Faroe Islands
The landscape around Lake Toftavatn, south of Runavík, is flat and covered in heather—perfect for an easy morning or afternoon hike. A walk around the entire lake takes only about two hours. The area is also rich in birdlife, which reaches its...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Art The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum