Runavik Top Picks
Collected by Kristan Schiller
Gøtugjógv, Faroe Islands
The municipality of Gøta, near the fjord Gotuvik, was once home to the legendary Viking chieftain Tróndur í Gøtu (ca. 945–1035), defender of Viking traditions in the face of the king of Norway and the Faroese chief Sigmundur Brestisson (who had...
31 Saksunarvegur, Saksun 436, Faroe Islands
In the remote village of Saksun along the eastern edge of the Dalsá River is the village church and ancient farm of Dúvugarðar, now a national heritage museum. This institution provides a realistic portrait of what life was like for Faroese...
Glyvrar 625, Faroe Islands
The charming fishing village of Glyvrar on the eastern edge of the Skálafjørður Inlet is home to the Museum Forni (Fornminnisfelagið Forni), a 17th-century Faroese house open to the public. Visitors will feel transported back in time as they...
Toftavatn, Faroe Islands
The landscape around Lake Toftavatn, south of Runavík, is flat and covered in heather—perfect for an easy morning or afternoon hike. A walk around the entire lake takes only about two hours. The area is also rich in birdlife, which reaches its...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village