RTW (Myanmar 2008)
Collected by Rob Hodges
Amarapura, Myanmar (Burma)
Mandalay. We flew there to see Amarapura, the ancient royal city for one reason: the old teak walkway without nails, which symbolizes the simplicity and Buddhist flavor of life in Myanmar (Burma). In the late afternoon, we strolled across U Bein...
New Bagan, Myanmar (Burma)
Lightning crashes and thunder booms in the ancient structure. This is a storm of Biblical proportions—though the setting is nothing of the sort. Holed up inside a roughly 1,000-year-old Buddhist temple, anxious about nightfall, but not about to...
Old Bagan, Myanmar (Burma)
It’s hard to comprehend the sheer will that went into building the temples of Bagan over a 200-year period starting in the 11th century. Bagan is the apex of the Myanmar temple aesthetic that values quantity—without forsaking quality—which can...
- 1 Travel News This Tiny Country Is Europe’s Fastest Growing Destination
- 2 Expat Life 11 Best Islands to Move to After Retiring
- 3 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 4 Travel News Why You Should Go to New York City This Winter
- 5 Where to Go in Winter 12 Great Beaches for Winter Sun