Collected by David Moss
Raiņa bulvāris 7, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
I found this fascinating. It's dark and a bit dreary, but appropriate, since it recounts the history of occupation in Latvia starting with the Soviets, then the Nazis and then back to the Russians.
Central District, Riga, LV-1050, Latvia
This monument was built in 1935 to commemorate the Latvian War of Independence against Russia that ended in 1920. Interestingly, the monument was not torn down after the Soviets retook control of Latvia in 1940. Besides being a significant...
Kalpaka bulvāris 13, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
You wouldn't know it at-a-glance, but this Neo-Gothic style national monument is a former military building and now Riga's Academy of Arts. We happened to walk in and without a word some nice woman lead us up the stairs. Happy to escape the cold,...
Doma laukums 1, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
Now that I'm back in California, I can feel nostalgic about this extremely cold trip to Latvia. Our exploration of Riga consisted of wandering during breaks in the storm, but we still managed to see a lot of the city. Don't let the snow slow you...
- 1 History + Culture Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel News A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico