Collected by David Moss
Raiņa bulvāris 7, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
I found this fascinating. It's dark and a bit dreary, but appropriate, since it recounts the history of occupation in Latvia starting with the Soviets, then the Nazis and then back to the Russians.
Central District, Riga, LV-1050, Latvia
This monument was built in 1935 to commemorate the Latvian War of Independence against Russia that ended in 1920. Interestingly, the monument was not torn down after the Soviets retook control of Latvia in 1940. Besides being a significant...
Kalpaka bulvāris 13, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
You wouldn't know it at-a-glance, but this Neo-Gothic style national monument is a former military building and now Riga's Academy of Arts. We happened to walk in and without a word some nice woman lead us up the stairs. Happy to escape the cold,...
Doma laukums 1, Centra rajons, Rīga, LV-1050, Latvia
Now that I'm back in California, I can feel nostalgic about this extremely cold trip to Latvia. Our exploration of Riga consisted of wandering during breaks in the storm, but we still managed to see a lot of the city. Don't let the snow slow you...
- 1Restaurants + CafésThe Best Farm-to-Table Restaurants for a Fall Harvest Feast
- 2Travel NewsThe Best Meteor Shower of the Year Peaks This Weekend
- 3Gear8 New Books You Need to Read Before Flying to France
- 4MusicBeyond the French Quarter: Discovering New Orleans’s Downriver Delights
- 5Where to Go in FallAn Expert Guide to Working Remotely and Traveling the World