Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, Mexico
Collected by Lily Soysal, AFAR Contributor
Juárez, 71980 Puerto Escondido, Oax., Mexico
Head straight to the main market in the upper part of Puerto Escondido for a true local's shopping experience. You'll taste local flavors (fresh fish and shrimp, amazing juices, etc.) at the best prices. Skip the tchotchkes, but stock up on bars...
Benito Juárez 9, Rinconada, 71980 Puerto Escondido, Oax., Mexico
Local celebrity Gina Machorro will take you on a walking tour through Puerto to learn about the local history, the indigenous Mixteca culture, the black-African roots of Puerto, economic background, fishing, religion, agriculture, culture,...
Playa Principal s/n, Av. Alfonso Pérez Gasga 612, Libertad, 71983 Puerto Escondido, Oax., Mexico
Fishermen arrive at dawn here to sell their catch to the local restaurants. Be sure to arrive nice and early to watch the fishing boats come into shore at insanely high speeds! Photo credit: Jay Soysal
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 4 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 5 Where to Go in Fall 11 Fall Foliage Train Rides to Book Right Now