Collected by Sherry Ott, AFAR Ambassador
Genslerstraße 66, 13055 Berlin, Germany
“What is the first article of your country’s constitution?” our tour guide Grit asked. We all answered with some form of free speech and the right to choose. Grit then announced to us the first article of East Germany run by the GDR (German...
61 St 111, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
A room at S-21 where prisoners were systematically tortured for weeks on end by Khmer Rouge soldiers in order to ferret out false confessions that the victims had committed acts of treason against Pol Pot and the regime. When I look at these...
Pianosa, 57034 Campo nell'Elba, Province of Livorno, Italy
A quick boat ride from Marina di Campo in Elba Island will bring you away from the summer's crowds straight to Pianosa Island. Once the location of a maximum-security prison holding particularly dangerous mafiosi, it is now a marine protected...
Piazza San Marco, 1, 30100 Venezia VE, Italy
Långholmsmuren 20, 117 33 Stockholm, Sweden
Linked by a bridge to Södermalm, Långholmen used to house some of Sweden’s most notorious criminals. The island’s 19th-century prison was converted into the Långholmen Hotel in 1989. Visit the museum to learn about such former residents as...
Gobernador Paz, Yaganes y, V9410 Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Ushuaia really got it's start as a prison colony. In 1896 the prison in Ushsuaia received its first inmates, mainly re-offenders and dangerous prisoners transferred from Buenos Aires but also some political prisoners. The town grew around the...
- 1 Natural Wonders There Are Two Meteor Showers This Month. Here’s How to Watch Them.
- 2 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village
- 5 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now