Collected by Steve Cook
Bicesse, 2645-253 Alcabideche, Portugal
My first evening in Portugal, I visited Azulejos Artesanal, a tile factory in the village of Bicesse. Ruí has been painting tiles by hand for decades, and he gave me a personal tour of the facility. Whether he’s painting original new tiles made...
Areia, 4480-069 Árvore, Portugal
My first day in Portugal, my friend, interpreter and guide Jorge Silva took me to the small village of Areia. We visited a restaurant called Tasca Tosca, which is Portugese for rough wine bar, named after its rough-hewn wooden tables and fantastic...
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I visited a wine shop in the town of Torres Vedras, Portugal called Garrefeira (Portugese for “bottle shop”) São Pedro (Portugese for “St. Peter”). José took over management of the establishment in 1997, and he’s assisted by his wife Sofia and son...
2560 Silveira, Portugal
I visited a windmill and bakery in the small town of Silveira, which is about 75 km northwest of Lisbon. Sérgio is the windmill operator (moleiro in Portuguese). This windmill grinds wheat, corn, or oats into the flour that is used for baking...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village