Collected by Steve Cook
Bicesse, 2645-253 Alcabideche, Portugal
My first evening in Portugal, I visited Azulejos Artesanal, a tile factory in the village of Bicesse. Ruí has been painting tiles by hand for decades, and he gave me a personal tour of the facility. Whether he’s painting original new tiles made...
Areia, 4480-126 Árvore, Portugal
My first day in Portugal, my friend, interpreter and guide Jorge Silva took me to the small village of Areia. We visited a restaurant called Tasca Tosca, which is Portugese for rough wine bar, named after its rough-hewn wooden tables and fantastic...
Torres Vedras, Portugal
I visited a wine shop in the town of Torres Vedras, Portugal called Garrefeira (Portugese for “bottle shop”) São Pedro (Portugese for “St. Peter”). José took over management of the establishment in 1997, and he’s assisted by his wife Sofia and son...
2560 Silveira, Portugal
I visited a windmill and bakery in the small town of Silveira, which is about 75 km northwest of Lisbon. Sérgio is the windmill operator (moleiro in Portuguese). This windmill grinds wheat, corn, or oats into the flour that is used for baking...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Natural Wonders The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 4 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 5 Romance 9 of the World’s Most Romantic Winter Wonderlands