Portree's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel , AFAR Local Expert
MacLeod Estate, Dunvegan House, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye IV55 8WF, UK
The oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland, Dunvegan has served as the ancestral home of Clan MacLeod for more than 800 years. Restored between 1840 and 1850, the castle features a unified exterior complete with defensive battlements...
Isle of Skye IV47 8SZ, UK
The oldest working distillery on the Isle of Skye, Talisker is set on the shores of Loch Harport, with dramatic views of the rocky Cuillin mountain range. Here, distillers produce an alluringly sweet, full-bodied single malt, heavily influenced by...
Quay St, Portree IV51 9DE, UK
Lined with pretty pastel houses, this quaint harbor bustling with fishing boats is the perfect excursion for those who don’t want to venture far from the cruise port. Boats run day trips through Portree Bay during the summer; and numerous shops,...
Viewfield Rd, Portree IV51 9EU, UK
Aros is a cultural hub for the residents of the Isle of Skye, housing everything from theater and films to a kilt rental service. There’s also an exhibit about the people of the St. Kilda archipelago (the most remote of the British Isles) whose...
Office, Park Rd, Portree IV51 9EP, UK
Soak in the Isle of Skye’s scenery without leaving Portree. This gallery showcases the works of Ronald MacDonald, a renowned landscape photographer whose stunning panoramic and abstract photos use Skye, other Scottish islands and destinations as...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May