Portree's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel , AFAR Local Expert
A850, Isle of Skye IV55 8WA, UK
Travel to the western side of Skye to explore the history of the island's most famous family. The home to the Clan MacLeod for over 800 years, Dunvegan Castle is surrounded by the waters of Loch Dunvegan and five acres of formal gardens. Even to...
Carbost, Isle of Skye IV47 8SR, UK
Learn about Scottish poet Robert Louis Stevenson's favorite whisky on a tour of this distillery, founded in 1830. The journey to Carbost, partially along the coastal road, is worthwhile for the views of the jagged Cuillin mountains and eagles...
Quay St, Portree IV51 9DE, UK
Lined with pretty pastel houses, this quaint harbor bustling with fishing boats is the perfect excursion for those who don’t want to venture far from the cruise port. Boats run day trips through Portree Bay during the summer; and numerous shops,...
Viewfield Rd, Portree IV51 9EU, UK
Aros is a cultural hub for the residents of the Isle of Skye, housing everything from theater and films to a kilt rental service. There’s also an exhibit about the people of the St. Kilda archipelago (the most remote of the British Isles) whose...
Office, Park Rd, Portree IV51 9EP, UK
Soak in the Isle of Skye’s scenery without leaving Portree. This gallery showcases the works of Ronald MacDonald, a renowned landscape photographer whose stunning panoramic and abstract photos use Skye, other Scottish islands and destinations as...
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019