Portree's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel , AFAR Local Expert
MacLeod Estate, Dunvegan House, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye IV55 8WF, UK
The oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland, Dunvegan has served as the ancestral home of Clan MacLeod for more than 800 years. Restored between 1840 and 1850, the castle features a unified exterior complete with defensive battlements...
Isle of Skye IV47 8SZ, UK
The oldest working distillery on the Isle of Skye, Talisker is set on the shores of Loch Harport, with dramatic views of the rocky Cuillin mountain range. Here, distillers produce an alluringly sweet, full-bodied single malt, heavily influenced by...
Quay St, Portree IV51 9DE, UK
Lined with pretty pastel houses, this quaint harbor bustling with fishing boats is the perfect excursion for those who don’t want to venture far from the cruise port. Boats run day trips through Portree Bay during the summer; and numerous shops,...
Viewfield Rd, Portree IV51 9EU, UK
Aros is a cultural hub for the residents of the Isle of Skye, housing everything from theater and films to a kilt rental service. There’s also an exhibit about the people of the St. Kilda archipelago (the most remote of the British Isles) whose...
Office, Park Rd, Portree IV51 9EP, UK
Soak in the Isle of Skye’s scenery without leaving Portree. This gallery showcases the works of Ronald MacDonald, a renowned landscape photographer whose stunning panoramic and abstract photos use Skye, other Scottish islands and destinations as...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Where to Go in Fall The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum