Porto's Top 5
Collected by Rita Alves , AFAR Local Expert
Largo Cónego José Maria Gomes, 4800-419 Guimarães, Portugal
Guimarães, northeast of Porto, is considered the birthplace of Portugal, and its historic center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Since 2012—the year it was designated the European Capital of Culture—exhibitions, concerts, performances and other...
R. de São Filipe de Nery, 4050-546 Porto, Portugal
Located in Porto's historic center, the 76-meter-tall Torre dos Clérigos is the bell tower of an adjacent church, both of which were designed by Baroque architect Nicolau Nasoni in the mid-18th century. An iconic landmark of the city, it was once...
Largo Miguel Bombarda 3, 4430-175 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Pay a visit to the port wine cellars, located on the opposite side of the Douro River in the warehouses of Vila Nova de Gaia. A tour and tasting will help you distinguish between the different types of port wine (dry white, ruby and tawny among...
R. Dom João de Castro 210, 4150-417 Porto, Portugal
There is much to do at Serralves, a sprawling cultural complex that encompasses the Museum of Contemporary Art, designed by the famous Portuguese architect Álvaro Siza; the Art Deco Serralves Villa, once a count’s residence; and Serralves Park, 18...
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Natural Wonders Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Art The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Coming to 1 U.S. Museum This Fall