Portland's Top 5
Collected by Travis Marshall , AFAR Local Expert
Minterne Magna, Dorchester DT2 7AU, UK
Minterne House has been home to the Digby and Churchill families for 350 years, and today it’s the seat of the 12th Lord Digby. The vast manor house sits on 1,300 acres of land. Lush gardens and lawns stretch as far as the eye can see,...
New Barn Rd, Abbotsbury DT3 4JG, UK
The village of Abbotsbury was established as a Benedictine monastery almost 1,000 years ago along Chesil Beach, overlooking the lagoon between the beach and the offshore Chesil Bank. In 1393, the monks created a sanctuary here for mute swans, and...
New Rd, Sherborne DT9 5NR, UK
Sir Walter Raleigh built Sherborne Castle in 1594 alongside an older castle from the 12th century, the ruins of which still remain on the grounds. The Digby family bought the property while Raleigh was imprisoned in the Tower of London and they...
Amesbury, Salisbury SP4 7DE, UK
One of the world’s most iconic, and mysterious, prehistoric monuments sits in the English countryside about a 90-minute drive from Portland. Walk among the standing stones that were arranged here some 2,000 to 3,000 years B.C.E., around the same...
- 1 Air Travel Another U.S. Airport Now Allows Non-Ticketed Visitors Through Security
- 2 Travel News This Bistro Was Just Voted the Best New Restaurant in the United States
- 3 Travel News Tour Guides Will Soon Be Restricted at Two Popular NYC Sites
- 4 Travel Tips Temples, Tipping, and Train Rides: A Guide to Japan for First-Timers
- 5 Where to Go in Spring 10 Best Places to Travel in May