Collected by Sam Barns, AFAR Local Expert
The best of what to do in Portland, Maine and the surrounding area!
Peaks Island, Portland, ME 04108, USA
You really can't experience Portland without experiencing the islands of Casco Bay. The bay is everything to the city. It drives the fishing industry, the tourism industry, and most of the local fun. A ferry service leaving off Commercial Street...
375 Fore St, Portland, ME 04101, USA
For a fun night out in Portland there is no better place than Bull Feeney's. Quality live music (multiple stages), great local beer, and lots of room make this a great place to take in the Portland nightlife. Friday's and Saturday's during the...
Jewell Island, Portland, ME 04019, USA
You can't fully appreciate coastal Maine without getting on a boat and exploring the islands. Sure, the beaches are great. Downtown Portland is great. But until you've gotten out onto the islands there is an entire world you're missing out on. Of...
Old Port, Portland, ME 04101, USA
Portland, Maine is one of the oldest cities in the United States and the Old Port is where it shows. The waterfront in the Old Port continues to be a working waterfront with ferries, fishing boats, and lobster boats coming and going daily. This...
40 Washington Ave, Portland, ME 04101, USA
Silly's is one of the most unique restaurants in the world. It is hard to describe exactly what makes it different, it's just silly. In the summer make sure to get out and enjoy the beautiful back patio. Silly's has managed to fit more options on...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 3 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 4 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 5 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna