Places I've been: Guatemala
Collected by Dwiveck Custodio, AFAR Local Expert
Mercado Central, Chimaltenango 04001, Guatemala
Mario Rene sells fresh jalapa cheese and quesadillas in In the Mercado Central of Guatemala City. Unlike the typical quesadillas you'd find in America, these are created using cornbread and Zacapa's regional cheese. An unexpected find, this shop...
9 Calle Oriente, Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala
In the midst of enchanting Antigua Guatemala, La Cuevita de los Urquizu allows you to see, smell, and taste delicious stews steaming in clay pots. An order gets you one stew with your two side dishes for the cost of two typical meals the same size...
1a Avenida Norte #12A, 1a Avenida Nte 12A, Antigua Guatemala 03001, Guatemala
Dressed in traditional Mayan outfits, the muñecas quitapenas, or dolls that take away sorrows, serve as the Guatemalan version of wishing upon a star. These dolls, found in all the markets, offer something for everyone: a little bit of magic, a...
Mirador de San Antonio Aguas Calientes, Guatemala
While I was in Guatemala, a friendly lady named Carolina dressed me up in the traditional dress of her region of Guatemala, San Antonio Aguas Calientes. This dress is still worn by the women of that region every day, with added garments for...
San Juan La Laguna, Guatemala
Visiting a small, artistic village on Lake Atitlan we came across this large wall or fence of recycled pastic bottles. It was amazing and we were so happy to see a new use for plastic bottles. Beautiful Lake Atitlan is located in the Guatemalean...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 4 Travel News 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys