Collected by Joan Wharton, AFAR Local Expert
Puerto Maldonado, Peru
During a 2011 visit to Peru, my husband and I spent a few days in the Peruvian Amazon. Starting in Puerto Maldonado, we boated for about an hour down the Madre de Dios River to the beautiful Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica. While at the lodge, we took...
One of my favorite places when I visited Peru in April was the famous Lake Titicaca in Puno. At 12,500 feet above sea level and nestled between Peru and Bolivia, Lake Titicaca is the highest commercially navigable lake in the world. The lake has a...
- 1Air TravelTSA Implements New Carry-On Rules for Powders
- 2Travel NewsThere’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now
- 3PhotographySweden’s Magical Midsommar Festival Is Straight out of a Fairy Tale
- 4Travel TipsHow to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)
- 5Where to Go in SummerHow to Take the Houseboat Vacation of Your Dreams This Summer