Collected by Joseph Cyr, AFAR Local Expert
Arequipa was our 'home base'..."Rocoto relleno"--our culinary revelation. Still dreaming of condors soaring...and the timelessness of Inca stonework...
Santa Catalina 301, Arequipa, Peru
In 1580, just four decades after the Spanish founded the city of Arequipa in the highlands of Perú, the Monastery of Santa Catalina de Siena was established. Wealthy families paid lavish dowries in order for their daughters to become nuns here....
Antigua Panamericana Sur 31.5, Lurín, Peru
The hills and coast around Lima can seem almost lunar--the climate is arid, despite the 'garúa,' the low-lying but rain-less clouds that hang around this part of Perú for about half the year. But the desert is archaeologically rich. Lima itself is...
High on an Andean plateau in the south of Perú sits Arequipa--a Baroque gem of a city whose historic center is built almost entirely of white volcanic stone. "When the moon separated from the Earth, it forgot to take Arequipa," say some locals......
- 1 Travel News This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 3 Photography Tips The Key to Taking Jaw-Dropping Outdoor Travel Photos
- 4 Luxury Cruises A Titanic Replica Could Set Sail in 2022
- 5 Exceptional Travel Experiences The Ideal Iceland May Only Exist in Your Mind