Collected by Carrie Chang
90134 Palermo, Province of Palermo, Italy
by Fabrizia Lanza Within the Palace of the Normans, there’s a chapel of the kings. “It’s sumptuous,” Fabrizia says, “all covered with mosaics. It’s like getting inside a golden box of jewelry.” Piazza del Parlamento 1 This story appeared in the...
Piazza Cappuccini, 1, 90129 Palermo PA, Italy
At street level, the Capuchin monastery might seem like many other historic churches in Palermo. But once you go below ground, you'll encounter the most unusual and macabre display in the city. More than 8,000 mummified bodies are interred in its...
Via Valverde, 3, 90133 Palermo PA, Italy
The interior walls of the Oratory of Santa Cita display the masterpiece of Palermo sculptor Giacomo Serpotta, who spent much of his life on this elaborate collection of three-dimensional stuccowork. The chapel was built as thanks to the Virgin...
Piazza Papireto, 90134 Palermo PA, Italy
If you love the idea of treasure-hunting in a Sicilian flea market, head to the Pulci Market in Piazza del Papireto. It's open most weekdays, with vendors in roll-front stalls displaying an eclectic collection of antiques, trinkets, furniture and...
- 1 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 2 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico
- 3 Natural Wonders The Best Hot Springs in the United States
- 4 Gear The Best Luggage for 2019
- 5 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign