Collected by Ann Friedman
My favorite things and places from a truly dreamy AFAR-enabled Spin the Globe trip.
1 Chome-6-8 Nanbanaka, Naniwa-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 556-0011, Japan
Put on that cotton yukata and those complimentary slippers, order in a traditional Japanese breakfast, sit cross-legged on that tatami mat, and have the calmest morning ever in the middle of the Osaka hustle-bustle.
2 Chome-8-28 Higashishinsaibashi, Chūō-ku, Ōsaka-shi, Ōsaka-fu 542-0083, Japan
All of the fried octopus delights you crave, including takoyaki. A fantastically friendly staff. Japanese businessmen drinking Zima. Classic rock soundtrack. What more could you ask for?
Japan, 〒761-3110 Kagawa-ken, Kagawa-gun, Naoshima-chō, (Sonota), 香川県香川郡 直島町宮の浦
Take the ferry from Uno to Naoshima Island, rent a bicycle, and ride from museum to installation to art house! Dreamy. Favorites include James Turrell at the ChiCha and Yayoi Kusama at the Benesse.
Japan, 〒542-8510 Ōsaka-fu, Ōsaka-shi, Chūō-ku, Nanba, 5 Chome−51−５ 高島屋大阪店 ２F
I made several meals of just wandering the aisles of the Takashimaya department store basement, grazing on a variety of bite-sized foods. The Japanese really know how to snack. See all of our ideas for where to go in 2015.
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 4 Museums + Galleries Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles