Collected by AFAR Explorer
Reminiscent of building of the kingdom of Rohan from Lord of the Rings, Norway's stave churches are impressively built in a Viking style featuring incredible craftsmanship and inspiring spiritual contemplation. On our visit to Norway, we visited...
Fv63 52, 6216 Geiranger, Norway
The village of Geiranger has a lot going for it. Located in Geirangerfjord, which is UNESCO World Heritage Site, Geiranger boasts some of the most stunning scenery in the country— if not the world— and has been called "the best travel destination...
Trollstigen 1, 6300 Åndalsnes, Norway
Trollstigen Mountain Road has been drawing visitors since its opening in 1936. With 11 hairpin turns and a 9-percent incline, the epic road is surrounded by three equally epic mountains: Kongen, meaning "the King," Dronningen, "the Queen," and...
Fv64 10, 6530 Averøy, Norway
Declared "the world's best road trip" by the Guardian, a drive along western Norway's 5.2 mile Atlantic Ocean Road is certainly bound to be inspiring. The road connects the mainland with several small islands of an archipelago, winding across the...
Nordre gate 11, 7011 Trondheim, Norway
Norway’s third largest city (after Oslo and Bergen), Trondheim has a charming and appealing intimacy. Today the city is famous as the center of Norway’s technology industry—the country’s own Silicon Valley—but it’s the historic sites that interest...
- 1 Winter Sports This Winter Will Be Warmer Than Average in the United States, Experts Say
- 2 Travel News The Brightest Meteor Shower of the Year Is Happening This Week
- 3 Art + Culture 9 Things That Are Surprisingly Offensive in Asia
- 4 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Paris Riots
- 5 Travel News There’s a Huge Sale on the Most Scenic U.S. Train Routes Right Now