Northland's Top 5
Collected by Erin Levi , AFAR Contributor
Poor Knights Islands, New Zealand
About 24 kilometers (15 miles) off the coast of Tutukaka, Poor Knights Islands Marine Reserve—a pending UNESCO World Heritage Site—is a dream destination for divers, with over 125 species of fish coexisting with corals, sponges, kelp forests and a...
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
The Bay of Islands is reported to have the second bluest sky in the world (Rio De Janeiro being the first) and I believe it! It is a sailing mecca, where "Yachties" from Aukland house their vessels. It has a rich Mauri history and marks the place...
Cape Reinga 0484, New Zealand
Located at the northwesternmost tip of the Aupouri Peninsula where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Ocean, Cape Reinga and its lonesome lighthouse may as well be the end of the world—or the portal to the afterworld. The Maori believe that spirits...
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Natural Wonders A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico