Next Stop: Portugal
Collected by Rie Yamaoka
I haven't been here yet but I've heard all about the textiles, the food, the beauty of Portugal.
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisboa, Portugal
Located west of central Lisbon, Torre de Belém is a trip best done by metro or taxi. Once there, climb the steps that date back to the 16th century and get a bird’s-eye view of the Portuguese capital. Some of its neighbors will make venturing into...
R. Me. Deus 4, 1900-312 Lisboa, Portugal
Azulejos (glazed tiles) are a ubiquitous decoration throughout Portugal. They cover the facades and interiors of many houses in Lisbon, and are even used as historical markers. The Museu Nacional do Azulejo, located in a 16th-century convent,...
nº 13, R. Bartolomeu de Gusmão 11, 1100-000 Lisboa, Portugal
Nutty bread layered with olive oil, jam, salt and cured pig's neck were the perfect accompaniment to rich Portuguese wine and 80 year old port. When visiting wine bars let the staff select your wines ask for the stories behind them. You'll feel...
Bicesse, 2645-253 Alcabideche, Portugal
My first evening in Portugal, I visited Azulejos Artesanal, a tile factory in the village of Bicesse. Ruí has been painting tiles by hand for decades, and he gave me a personal tour of the facility. Whether he’s painting original new tiles made...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 Air Travel New Aviation Bill Could Mean Even Smaller Airplane Seats
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Spain Just Named This Small Town Its Most Beautiful Village