Narvik's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel, AFAR Local Expert
Bonesveien 319, 9360 Bardu, Norway
Fewer than 50 wolves and 100 brown bears live in Norway, mainly along the largely inaccessible Norway-Sweden border, so this is a rare opportunity to see the predators alongside deer, elk and reindeer. This Arctic wildlife park prides itself on...
Kongensgate 39, 8514 Narvik, Norway
Reminders of World War II are not hard to find on the streets of Narvik, but for the full story, head to the War Museum. Originally founded by the Norwegian Red Cross to educate children about war, the museum tells the dramatic story of the Battle...
Stasjonsveien 1, 8514 Narvik, Norway
Take a railway trip to the Swedish border on the Ofoten Line, often overlooked by travelers because the line is not connected to the Norwegian railway system. Popular in winter with northern lights hunters and skiers, the summer journey is equally...
Teknologiveien 12, 8517 Narvik, Norway
It takes only eight minutes to understand why this cable car to the summit of Fagernesfjellet is consistently voted Narvik's top tourist attraction. Extreme sports are popular year round in Narvik, so you may be sharing your gondola with anyone...
Administrasjonsveien 3, 8514 Narvik, Norway
Discover the secrets of Narvik's past by learning how the land, sea and people worked together to create an industrial powerhouse in northern Norway. Exhibitions detail the history of iron-ore mining in the region and the building of the Ofoten...
- 1 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 2 Air Travel These North American Airports Rank Best (and Worst) in Passenger Satisfaction
- 3 Food + Drink The Untapped Region Where Italy’s Oldest Culinary Traditions Live On
- 4 History + Culture Europe’s Lesser-Visited UNESCO Sites Are Easier Than Ever to Explore
- 5 Travel News Several High-Speed Train Routes Are Coming to the United States