Collected by Jon Sheer, AFAR Local Expert
Various visual experiences from the land formerly known as Burma.
Mrauk-U, Myanmar (Burma)
This sunset photo was taken in late December 2011 while visiting the ruins of Mrauk U, ancient capital of the Arakan kingdom in modern day Rakhine State located in far western Myanmar. It was definitely worth the 6-hour boat trip up the Kaladan...
2, Nyaung-U, Myanmar (Burma)
A very familiar sight at markets in Myanmar--various varieties of dubious-looking fish for sale to brave and intrepid shoppers! This particular stall was set up the at the market in Nyaung U near Bagan. Fortunately the photo doesn't convey the...
Nyaung-U, Myanmar (Burma)
This was taken during sunrise over the plains of Bagan from a hot air balloon organized by Balloons Over Bagan, a first-rate ballooning outfit--while 300 bucks US might sound expensive, especially for Myanmar, let me assure you that it was worth...
Taung Tha Man Lake, Myanmar (Burma)
Woman with fruit-laden basket crossing the U Bein Bridge over Taungthaman Lake in Mandalay, Myanmar. U Bein bridge is a 1.2km wooden footbridge (the longest teak bridge in the world) built by former mayor U Bein through salvaging unwanted teak...
- 1The Future of the Great American Road Trip Is Electric
- 2Portugal’s Exquisite Historic Lodgings Offer a Window to the Past
- 3Austria’s New James Bond Museum Is a Spectacular Secret Lair High in the Alps
- 4How to Plan the Perfect Group Trip (Without the Stress)
- 5The True Magic of Machu Picchu Isn’t Where You Think It Is