My Best of Peru's Past and Present
Collected by Annie Fitzsimmons , AFAR Contributor
Carretera Hiram Bingham KM 7.5, Machu Picchu, Peru
If you ride the Hiram Bingham and are not staying at the lodge, you can do tea at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, the only hotel on site. It's a big spread of sandwiches, fruit, and desserts, along with tea, soft drinks, or coffee. While it's...
I didn't want to miss the chance to take one of the world's greatest train journeys, named after Hiram Bingham, who rediscovered Machu Picchu in 1911. There are other ways to arrive but the sense of joy and camaraderie on board just adds to the...
Jirón de la Unión 224, Cercado de Lima 15001, Peru
You need to make an appointment to visit, but cannot leave Lima without seeing this stunning historic home near Lima's main square. What is most astonishing is that the home has been in the same family since 1535, when Francisco Pizarro founded...
Beruri - State of Amazonas, 69430-000, Brazil
The Sacred Valley is known for being an adventurer's paradise, with long hikes to ancient ruins, kayaking, paragliding and more. But for me, after a few days of packed sightseeing in Cusco and Machu Picchu, staying one night at the Hotel Rio...
Plazoleta Nazarenas 223, Cusco 08000, Peru
This hotel, Orient-Express' fifth in Peru, completely blew me away. Officially opened last month, the 55-suite property is housed in a former 16th century convent turned chic retreat and features Cusco's first outdoor pool. It is right next to...
km 23, a, Pisac, Cusco, Peru
Here's where I wish I had extra money to spend with the gorgeous blankets and housewares made by local women. Don't miss all the potatoes piled up - the region is known for potato dishes and there are about 100 different varieties on display....
- 1 Travel News Airbnb Wants to Pay for You to Live in This Italian Village for a Whole Summer
- 2 Hiking + Cycling 6 Dream Hikes in the United States (and How to Score the Permits)
- 3 Natural Wonders A Rare Super Blood Wolf Moon Will Be Visible Over America This Weekend
- 4 Where to Go Next Where to Travel in 2019 According to Your Astrological Sign
- 5 Travel for Good Here’s What You Need to Know About Getting Tickets to See “Hamilton” in Puerto Rico