Collected by John Newton , AFAR Contributor
Piedras 237, 11000 Montevideo, Uruguay
This Ciudad Vieja structure, formerly a market, houses dozens of small restaurants and is a carnivore’s delight. One location after another sells kebabs or choice cuts of the beef that Uruguay is famous for, roasted over open flames. Pick a place...
Rambla Armenia 3667, 11300 Montevideo, Uruguay
This popular steakhouse dates back to 1994, when it was in an eponymous violet house in the Carrasco neighborhood. Six years later it moved to its current location with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the yachts on Buceo Bay. Its specialty...
Ituzaingó 1447, 11000 Montevideo, Uruguay
The tiny Café Brasilero (it measures less than 56 square meters) has played a large role in Montevideo’s cultural life. This Ciudad Vieja establishment is the city’s oldest café, having been founded in 1877. The walls are decorated with...
Buenos Aires 652, 11000 Montevideo, Uruguay
Rara Avis is located near the Teatro Solís, making it a popular fine dining option with the pre–theater crowd. The spirit of the theater pervades the restaurant as well, with its air of drama and elegance. The restaurant has three separate spaces:...
Bacacay 1312, 11000 Montevideo, Uruguay
The opening of this restaurant in 1994 in the Ciudad Vieja was the moment that marked the reemergence of the neighborhood as a dining and nightlife destination. Located in a historic 1844 building, the interiors are coolly contemporary. The...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Happiest Country Is All About Reading, Coffee, and Saunas
- 2 Natural Wonders “Unbearable” Crowds Force California Town to Restrict Access to Poppy Bloom
- 3 Travel News What Travelers Need to Know About the Ongoing Paris Riots
- 4 Where to Go in Spring California Wildflowers: Where and When to Find Them During the Super Bloom
- 5 Travel News Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Is Opening Soon—Here’s Everything You Need to Know