Collected by Joan Schnee
9 Thurston Rd, Bernard, ME 04612, USA
Bar Harbor is home to quite a variety of places to consume lobster. However, none of them are quite as authentic and delicious as Thurston's Lobster Pound on the "quiet side" of the island. It's a bit of a drive from Bar Harbor, but the food is...
15 Peabody Dr, Northeast Harbor, ME 04662, USA
The Asticou Inn and its adjacent azalea garden are exceptional spots to stop on Mount Desert Island. The inn itself is one of the nicest lodging options on the island just outside of the prestigious village of Northeast Harbor, close to everything...
Sargeant Point Rd, Mt Desert, ME 04660, USA
Finding a spot to get a great sunset on MDI can be challenging, but this little park at the end of Sargeant Point Road overlooking Sommes Sound is the perfect spot (which is why the locals never let it sneak into the travel guides). With one...
Schooner Head, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, USA
Every travel guide you read suggests you take in a sunrise on top of Cadillac during a trip to Acadia, and while it is beautiful, there are other, less crowded places to get a wonderful morning view. Drive down Schooner Head Road and hike down the...
Mt Desert Island, Maine, USA
Mt. Desert Island on Maine's coast is the home of Acadia National Park. The primary town on the island is Bar Harbor, and while lovely, is a tourist magnet. Get off the beaten track around this lovely island for great hiking, up Cadillac mountain...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 3 Restaurants + Cafés Italy Is Getting Its First Starbucks and Italians Are Conflicted
- 4 Travel News Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 5 Cruise Serenity Now: These Are the Cruise Lines Going Totally Kid-Free