Collected by Chris O'Brien
R. dos Sapateiros 230, 1100-062 Lisboa, Portugal
A Merendinha do Arco by the Rossio Arch is just that place and it has become one my favourite “Tascas” – Portuguese local eateries - that serves the best char grilled cutlass fish (peixe espada) and red bean rice that I have ever eaten. It’s a...
Largo do Carmo, 1200-092 Lisboa, Portugal
In 1755, Lisbon was all but devoured by an earthquake so strong that it still ranks as one of the most destructive in recorded history. One of the few structures to survive somewhat intact was the Carmo Convent—an impressive feat,...
R. de Santa Cruz do Castelo, 1100-129 Lisboa, Portugal
The Castelo de São Jorge, is one of the Alfama neighborhood’s most historically significant monuments. Plan a visit late in the afternoon so that you can explore every nook and cranny and learn about the castle’s abundant...
R. Duque de Palmela 34, 1250-098 Lisboa, Portugal
It's not top of most people's travel itinerary for Lisbon but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed São Vicente da Fora Monastery. I only went there for the views but got more than I bargained for in the form of stunning azulejos (handpainted...
Av. Brasília, 1400-038 Lisboa, Portugal
Located west of central Lisbon, Torre de Belém is a trip best done by metro or taxi. Once there, climb the steps that date back to the 16th century and get a bird’s-eye view of the Portuguese capital. Some of its neighbors will make venturing into...
- 1 Air Travel Finally, the TSA PreCheck Line Could Really Be Just for PreCheck Members
- 2 Where to Go in Fall Made for Walking: Stylish Travel Shoes That Are Actually Comfortable
- 3 Air Travel American Airlines Now Has Free Live TV on Domestic Flights—but There’s a Catch
- 4 Travel News Wes Anderson’s First Curated Exhibit Is Coming to Vienna
- 5 Bars + Nightlife The Best Rooftop Bars in Los Angeles