Lerwick's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel, AFAR Local Expert
Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0WP, UK
Dig deeper into the fascinating history and culture of the Shetland Islands in Lerwick's main museum. Understand the population's Nordic roots and the archipelago's complex relationship with the United Kingdom through a series of exhibitions...
63 Burgh Road, Lerwick ZE1 0QB, UK
An intriguing tradition dating back to the 19th century, Shetland's famous festival of fire draws thousands of people to the islands every year. This exhibition is the next best thing for those who can't visit in January. Film, photographs and...
Bod of Gremista, Gremista Industrial Estate, Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0PX, UK
Textile production has played a vital role in the economy of the archipelago, notably when Queen Victoria received a gift of lace stockings from islander Arthur Anderson. Inside the Böd of Gremista, Anderson's childhood home, you’ll meet genuine...
Arts Development Agency, North Ness,, Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0WQ, UK
This modern multipurpose venue on Lerwick’s waterfront is the home of Shetland’s art community. Mareel shows films, hosts concerts and exhibitions and functions as a meeting place for Shetland's arts community. Regardless of what’s playing, Mareel...
Sumburgh, Shetland ZE3 9JN, UK
This remarkable prehistoric archaeological site was uncovered by chance after a severe storm in 1896. Today it's one of the most famous archaeological sites in all the British Isles. Remains include thick walls of Bronze Age settlements, a...
- 1 Travel News The World’s Fastest Growing Tourist Destinations Aren’t Where You Think
- 2 Weekend Getaways This Coastal California Getaway Is the Big Sur You Haven’t Heard of . . . Yet
- 3 News and Openings 10 Reasons to Go to London This Fall
- 4 Travel News Here’s Why It Seems Like Everyone Is Going to Portugal Right Now
- 5 Travel News Greece Bans Anyone Over 220 Pounds From Riding Santorini’s Donkeys