Lerwick's Top Five
Collected by David Nikel , AFAR Local Expert
Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0WP, UK
Dig deeper into the fascinating history and culture of the Shetland Islands in Lerwick's main museum. Understand the population's Nordic roots and the archipelago's complex relationship with the United Kingdom through a series of exhibitions...
63 Burgh Road, Lerwick ZE1 0QB, UK
An intriguing tradition dating back to the 19th century, Shetland's famous festival of fire draws thousands of people to the islands every year. This exhibition is the next best thing for those who can't visit in January. Film, photographs and...
Bod of Gremista, Gremista Industrial Estate, Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0PX, UK
Textile production has played a vital role in the economy of the archipelago, notably when Queen Victoria received a gift of lace stockings from islander Arthur Anderson. Inside the Böd of Gremista, Anderson's childhood home, you’ll meet genuine...
Arts Development Agency, North Ness,, Lerwick, Shetland ZE1 0WQ, UK
This modern multipurpose venue on Lerwick’s waterfront is the home of Shetland’s art community. Mareel shows films, hosts concerts and exhibitions and functions as a meeting place for Shetland's arts community. Regardless of what’s playing, Mareel...
Sumburgh, Shetland ZE3 9JN, UK
- 1 Air Travel French Bee Just Made It Much Cheaper to Fly to Paris From New York
- 2 Travel News Anthony Bourdain’s Possessions Will Be Auctioned to Fund New Study Abroad Scholarship
- 3 Where to Go in Fall Plan Your Fall Getaway With This Peak Foliage Prediction Map
- 4 Books 15 Amazing Books That Inspire Us to Travel
- 5 Museums + Galleries The Largest Monet Exhibition in 20 Years Is Now Open at 1 U.S. Museum